Happy Friday everyone! I am sitting in the beautiful city of Reggio Emilia in the university’s library with my best friend, Marta. As she works on her dissertation, I decided this would be a wonderful time to write a post. As Promised, I am back this week with a recipe straight from my host mom’s kitchen! This one is a classic: Pasta alla Carbonara. It is a classic Italian dish that originated in Rome. The best part about it is it’s easy to make and it is delicious! In less than 20 minutes, you will have a delicious plate of pasta that will make you feel like you are breathing in the Mediterranean air. ❤ LET’S GET STARTED!
(recipe for two people)
2 servings of Pasta– any kind will do! I am using Penne Rigate, but Spaghetti works well too.
1/3 Cup of Smoked Pancetta– This can be found in most grocery stores, but if you can’t find it you can substitute bacon cut into small cubes. * Vegetarians or those that don’t eat pork can use zucchini cut into small cubes as a substitute*
1/3 Cup of Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of Black Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once it begins to boil, Salt the water well.
- In a small pan, combine the pancetta (or substitute) with the olive oil and pepper, heat over a medium flame until the pancetta is well cook and forms a crust.
- In a bowl, whip together the egg and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook per the instructions given.
- When the pancetta has formed a crust, remove from the flame and let it cool.
- Once completely cooled, combine the pancetta with the egg and cheese mixture. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE PANCETTA IS COOL. If not, the egg will begin to cook.
- Strain the cooked pasta and put it back in the hot pot.
- Add the pancetta, egg, and cheese mixture and stir well.
- Add Parmesan cheese and pepper to taste.
This is a dish best served hot, so eat it right away! I am sure this won’t be a difficult task.
If anyone tries this dish, comment below to let me know how it turned out for you! It is one of my favorites.
I just came back from a wonderful weekend at Garda Lake for my host sister’s bachelorette party. It is one of the most breathtaking places in Northern Italy. Next week, I am going to the Tiziano Ferro Concert! AHHHHHHHHH! I feel like I am sixteen again. I am sure you all can’t wait for a bunch of photos of me crying like a crazed fan. Only 11 days left until I land in the Casablanca Airport!
Until then, Buon Appetito ❤